Dustin is that special kind of educator that is able to motivate and inspire both students and colleagues alike. Beginning his career as a middle school social studies teacher with Teach for America, he led his students to perform at three times the proficiency rate of the overall school. At the same time, he worked with the Freedom Writers Foundation to introduce unique programming using writing curriculum and tools to engage and empower students from low income communities, training other teachers along the way.
Currently, Dustin is Director of Operations at the first and only KIPP school in Ohio, having moved into the role from teaching and administrative positions. He now serves more than 600 students. He has continued to inspire his colleagues with professional development opportunities and helped his school earn the EPIC Silver Spotlight Schools Award. But it's clear his heart is always with the kids - when asked what he loves most about being an educator, he said:
"I love the opportunity to shape a student's journey and who they are growing up to be. It's a chance to not only impact their education and provided them the knowledge necessary to live a life of their choosing but also the character of how they're going to live the life in front of them. That's an honor and privilege for any educator - but the fact that I get to wake up every day and impact kids in this way, that's what I love the most about it."
We couldn't agree more. Congratulations, Dustin!
Voting for the December Educator of the Month is now open! Last chance to nominate for the 2014 Educator of the Year!
Educators are some of our all-time favorite people! That's why we've decided to recognize those special ones - you know who they are - who go above the fray and beyond the norm every single day to help students, families, and colleagues shine.
Each month, we'll accept emailed nominations for Align, Assess, Achieve's Educator of the Month Award; we'll announce the winning educator via our Facebook page. At the end of each year, we'll review all of that year's monthly winners, and will pick one very special person to receive our "Educator of the Year" award!
So who are these educators?
- Any Pre-K through 12th grade teacher or administrator working this school year is eligible to win.
- We're looking for people with great passion for what they do, who go out of their way to connect with students and families or to help a colleague in need. You know the kind of folks we're talking about - they're a bit hard to describe, as each one comes with his/her own special talents and abilities, but you definitely know them when you encounter them (and you sure feel lucky when you do).
How can I nominate one?
- Students, students' families, and colleagues of educators are encouraged to submit nominations.
- Just click the "Nominate an educator" link below and send us a short paragraph explaining why you believe this educator should win Educator of the Month.
- Be sure to include his/her name and school district along with your submission.
- The nomination period is from the first through the last day of each month.
- As amazing as you are, nominations have to be for someone else, not yourself.
And the winners?
- Be sure to like us on Facebook. We'll announce each month's winner in the first week of the month following your nomination.
- The "Educator of the Year" award will be announced in the first week of January, 2015.
- Winners will be announced on our Facebook page and the Educator of the Year winner will receive a personalized trophy, recognizing their excellence.
Yes - what are you doing reading this!? Show your favorite educator how much they mean to you - you have a fantastic nomination to write!